Monday, September 13, 2010

Vroom Vroom

One of my favorite things about living here are the electric bikes.  They are EVERYWHERE.  Instead of having a car, most people have electric bike and can fit all three or four members of their family on one.


This is a great example, even if its on a regular bicycle.  Chinese kids can sleep ANYWHERE.


So, I've been out on an electric bike twice now, once to go shopping downtown and once to ride through the country side.  Jess went with me both times, and the ride out to the country also included my Culture partner Jessica, some other culture students: Winston, Lisa, Faith and Aaron who is Winston's American culture partner.  We spent maybe an hour riding bikes and it was awesome!

Going through the countryside was really fun, even if it was pretty dusty.  Xin Zheng is a country town, so there was a lot of corn and something that is related to lotus root but not quite (Jessica didn't have an english translation for it but it grows everywhere).  Its super flat here too, so people have done this with regular bikes and its a nice ride.  Not like biking in Seattle.  Definately reminds me of Pennsylvania.


And always, the local livestock chowing down by the side of the road.  Maybe this is the cow that I get my raw milk from!


All in all, the whole thing is pretty awesome.  The rules of the road are pretty simple: 
1. Get out of the bigger trucks' way. 
2. Learn to love your horn. 
3. Sticking to the side of the road is optional. 
4. Driving the right way on the road is optional. 
5. Have a will ready.
6. What's a helmet?
7. Be fearless and it will be more fun.

Before my mother has a heart attack, its not too dangerous.  I never once thought I would actually die.  If you come and visit me (anyone), we will do this.  I would go riding every day if I could.  And the total cost to rent one of these puppies for an hour or two: 3 RMB.  $0.40  Yes, please!

1 comment:

  1. Lane, those seven rules sound like good rules for all of life! ;) Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete