Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Hack, Cough

My body doesn't like moving to China.  Once I'm here awhile it doesn't mind, but the moving part is hard.

So needless to say, I got a cold the second day I moved here.  I recovered in a normal fashion, but it came back two weeks later as a sinus infection.

Luckily it wasn't bad enough to go to the doctor, one of people in charge of the foreign teachers had antibiotics that I could take. I wasn't the only person to come down with it, Erin and David also got sick.  Erin and I watched five movies over two days and filled up three garbage bags of kleenex. 

What to do when you are sick in China:
1. Drink lots of hot water.  Really really hot.
2.Turn off your AC
3.Get lots of rest
4. Go to the doctor and get an IV (no matter what your illness is)
5. Drink medicine tea by the bucket.

This is the medicine looks like this.



Well, okay, it's actually 999 medicine, but it took me a while to figure that out with the Chinese.  It looks like little molasses granules that disolve in water.  You are supposed to only add a little water and drink it like a shot of espresso.  It tastes okay but after five times it gets old.

There was something interesting about the medicine teas, though.  There are two types to treat the two ways the Chinese classify colds.  They determine your type of cold by your body temperature: either you have a 'hot' flu or a 'cold' flu.  I'm not really sure how the whole thing works, but it does.

I'm still blowing my nose, but I'm getting over it.  I hope this doesn't become a regualr occurence.

No comments:

Post a Comment