Sunday, September 26, 2010

Info Cards

So, I had all of my students fill out "Student Info Cards" so I can keep them straight and contact them if I need something.  Some of the students wrote me a note at the bottom.  Here are my favorites:

"I fancy perfection and pursue eternal happiness.  Perfect fantasy..."  Allen

"Hope Every class Happy!"  Heather (and every other chinese student says "I hope happy every day!")

"By the way, I like your hairstyle, like waves."  Maple

"Opportunities are not wait!"  Angel

"I hope I can learn how to write in English from you.  Esp, how to write the beauty essay."  Clark

"I like English firstly.  Then I like doing sports.  You are perfect."  George

"Hold fast to your dream
for if dreams die/go
life is like a broken-winged bird/barren field
that can never fly/frozen with snow."  Alexander

"In our life, we always meet some troubles, but there is a sentence that encourages me so much.  'Its like a web, sometimes.  You make it, you wait.  And something always comes.'" Lasia (girl)

"Yes, we can!!"  Cenny (girl)

"I believe I can fly." Karsa (guy)

"Do what I like, like what I do.  Interest is the best teacher."  Andy

"I hope u can find ur Mr. Right as soon as possible.  Good luck! (heart) Expect we can be good friends."  Cecilia

"I am a sincere boy."  Fisher

I also have a pretty awesome from my friend Erin's class, from one of her low level athletes.  Green 1 is her husband, Seth.  "Green 1 is very strong.  You would be fatter."  I think this is my favorite one.

It is interesting to note that in Chinese culture, cliches are encouraged and relied upon heavily.  Anything that is a collective saying or phrase is considered to have more weight than something you could make up on your own.  This idea is one we talk about in writing class to help them write in a western style.  I taught them the word cliche and what it meant after they all wrote cliches on their note cards.

I also asked my students to tell me a little about themselves and I got some interesting self assessments.

"I am an outgoing girl and willing to try my best to learn English Writing well!"  Brittany

"I am an easygoing girl.  I am patient.  I love smile."  Doris

"I'm not so confident and easy to be nervous.  I hope I can come over these."  Emily

"I'm bright and I like communicating with others."  Grace

"I am an outgoing girl.  I think my shortage is I am a little lazy sometimes, I will do my best to make full use of time."  Jessica

"I don't like talking.  I am a little shy."  John

"Hi Lane, I'm a diligent and honest girl and I love to spend time with dear family and friends.  However, there is also a self-esteem in my heart and it makes me a little ambitious and independent."  Joyce
\
"I want to be a perfect man.  So I will try my best."  David

"I am lovely.  I like smiling.  Be kind and hope make more friends!"  King (girl)

"I am patient and careful.  I would try my best to do things well.  I love dancing.  I hope I can be confident and brave."  Alexis

"I want to be braver!"  Tammy

I think students spend a lot of time describing themselves, or being told about different types of people or virtues of what people should be like.  Something about the whole thing seems very cookie cutter and Chinese, but it's hard for me to articulate it (obviously).  It makes me want to sit in on their high school English classes to get a feel for where some of what they say comes from.

Chinese English is definately different than American English.  Its weird.  And makes for a good blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment