Friday, August 27, 2010

I'm So Flexible, I Can Do The Splits

Another thing about living in China is that hardly anything is in my control.  And things change repeatedly.  And I never find out about anything until last minute.

I moved to China with a contract to teach Oral English, something I have experience in and enjoy doing.  During training, my boss Nathan mentioned that they need two teachers to teach Writing and Composition as an academic course.  I had tried to teach the British and American history course but one of the other oral english teachers beat me to it with a masters in history, so they hired him instead.  So, I thought that teaching writing would still get my foot in the door and be more interesting to teach, and have a higher calibre of english because all of my students will be English majors.

I told Nathan I would be interested in teaching Writing, and he said he'd get back to me.  I didn't find out that I was teaching it until the next day five minutes before the Academic team meeting started.  And it turns out that no one has taught this course for 7 years and so there is no syllabus or precedence.  This allows me some flexibility to do what I want but also require more work to unit plan, etc.

I didn't get my textbook until today (Friday) and finally got a chance to sit down with Nathan to ask some basic questions: is this a one semester or two semester course?  (full year)  How many classes will I teach?  (5 classes as opposed to 9 oral english classes I was going to teach)  How many students in each class?  (50!  That's why we only have five classes, because we need that time to grade papers).

I am teaching this class on Monday.  I won't get my schedule until Sunday afternoon.

This is what I love and hate about China at the same time:  this would never fly in America.  But everyone operates like this in China.  The government operates like this: last year they declared a national holiday a week before it was going to happen.  Everyone just dropped what they were doing and rearranged their schedules and took a holiday./How crazy is that?

I am going to plan as much as I can for this class and just jump when they say jump.  As much as I get frustrated, this is the way that China is and it's not going to stop for me.  I just need to learn to roll with the punches, not complain, and be grateful that they are letting me teach a class that I'm not necessarily experienced in, but am willing to try my hand at.

As a side note, I've noticed that my spelling and word choice is slowly deteriorating.  When I come back in Janurary, my English will be Chinese English and I will say things like "I wish you to be happy every day."  Just wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment