Friday, August 6, 2010

125 Pounds

I have done a lot of traveling and moving before, so packing all my stuff into boxes and suitcases is not an unfamiliar prospect.  I've spent three summers in China, packing one large red suitcase for a month of teaching at a time.  Moving to college was a 20 minute drive, so I was able to put all of my boxes into my little VW bug and take two trips back and forth in a day to move home during summers.  My first post-college house was only 6 blocks away from my in-college house, so we shoved all of my furniture one at a time into the back of my friend's Subaru and drove at 10 mph with the back open and me holding desperately onto whatever-it-was so it didn't fall out.

[Side note:  I googled "Seattle to Zhengzhou" to find out how many miles I would be traveling, and it calculated it based on kayaking to Hawaii and then to Japan, then jet skiing from Japan to mainland China.  I appreciate Google's sense of humor.]

Anyway, moving 8,500 miles with just 125 pounds of luggage is new for me.  Especially for a whole year.  My comfort books alone weigh 50 pounds.  Thank goodness for ebooks!

I have already packed a large trunk that my dad took to Penn State (back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth) that has a large red sticker on the top that says "President Nixon- Now More Than Ever."  Seeing as Nixon was the first president to visit China, I thought it was appropriate.

 I'm glad to be halfway packed already, it has helped easy my pre-move anxiety.  Now I just need to figure out the last minute items and any summer clothes I want to take that I am wearing until the last moment.

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment